Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Birds and the Bees...

Well, well, well...the secret is finally out! Mark and I are having a baby in April, man does that feel good to share! We've known this news since August and now we get to share it. :)
It has been so much fun letting people know. We ended up mailing out a picture of Mark's hand holding a positive pregnancy test with the title saying,
"Guess What?". That's all, no names, no return address, no nothing! Then, we just sat back and waited...
and waited until the phone calls started flowing in. What a fun way to share news. To many it wasn't a big surprise seeing how all of our friends already have kids (not too many people would do that with the announcement of a 2nd or 3rd child). To others, they were very hesitant when they asked if we recently sent them a card. Fun fun fun. :)
I got to share the news with the Valley Christian HS staff Friday. It was my day to bring treats, so Mark and I decided that we were going to make a pregnant cake. So, that's exactly what we did...my creative husband came up with a clever idea of using a 9X13 pan, a bundt cake pan, and a cupcake pan to mold a pregnant lady's torso. What a riot this was! I got to school at 6:45 a.m. Friday morning (I had to beat the early-birds) and set it all out on the table in the lounge, so when people started filing in to check their mailboxes, they'd get quite the treat. Again, many didn't have any idea of what was going on...especially the men! I was no where to be seen...hiding out in my office in the gym just waiting for something to happen. Two periods go by and then it's break...time for cake! I walk up to the lounge and just got the biggest kick out of everyone's reactions. :) I was smiling the rest of the day. Again, so nice to let people know! I was actually curious to see who was going to go for the boobs. :) A fellow teacher friend of mine (male) cut around them very respectfully and served everything BUT...I didn't get to see who ended up with the "tasty treats"!
Some answers to some questions you may have...
1. We are not finding out what the sex of the baby is...we really really really just hope it's healthy!
2. We waited so long to let people know (I'm 21 weeks) because a) my sister is due in December, b) the earlier you start telling people, the longer the pregnancy seems, c) Mark and I have enjoyed adult conversation with our friends and once someone's pregnant, that's all that people tend to ask about.
3. On the flip side, we're thankful to let people in on our exciting news about baby Fieldhouse, and we truly covet your prayers for the little one...we've got a lot of catching up to do. :)
4. My pregancy has been absolutely as smooth as can be. Sure, the 1st trimester was tough in the sense that I was starting up teaching p.e., coaching tennis, and newly pregnant! Ummm, tired? Yeah, you could say that...however, time to rest? Not a chance! Oh well, I have a lovely husband who picked up some of my slack for me, bless his heart! And now that my energy is back...we won't go there. :)
5. I'm just now starting to show, without my clothes on that is. I can still hide it pretty good wearing my regular clothes. Seeing as how I get to wear warm-ups to work, I don't think I'll be too uncomfortable for a while. I'm still in my normal clothes, feeling a bit snug I must say.
6. No cravings...not too many mood swings (Mark may say otherwise)
7. I don't think I've felt the baby move yet, but then again, I haven't always been the most observant person.
I think that's about it. Sorry about the length of the email...it DOES feel good to get this load of a surprise off of our shoulders. I feel free! :)

4 comments:

cristina said...

sweet ipod :)

ooshela said...

What a Beautiful Mama you are Allison!! Love the belly pic, hope you keep posting those as the belly grows! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree! Keep posting the pics b/c I am SO SAD that I don't get to see you pregnant! We are SOOOO happy for you guys! Can't even tell ya! Miss ya lots!

lee @ abookchick.com said...

YEAH! you are going to be wonderful parents and we wish WE could be your kids....maybe you'd like a couple of ours? blessings to all three...

lee & jeff