Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lemon Tree Very Pretty...

"Lemon Tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat"...
I found myself singing that song a lot to Tessa lately as we pick up the lemons that have dropped off our amazing little citrus salad tree. Look at this thing, it's packed! I am sad to say that the only one I've actually USED/eaten I put in a scone recipe that I have. I'm pretty sure we have enough for lemonade, however, who wants to drink lemonade when it's "winter"? Maybe I'll slice 'em up and put some in my tea. :)

Speaking of lemons, we fed Tessa one yesterday and the child gave us no facial expression whatsoever! Either it wasn't a very strong lemon OR her taste buds aren't fully developed (or maybe she's just not a performer...like her father.)

3 comments:

FlutePrayer said...

Try this simple and unbelieveably delicious pie recipe from "The Joy of Cooking" and you may wish you had more lemons on your tree:

"Combine 1 can sweetened condensed (not evaporated) milk (15 oz), 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 TBSP grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp salt.

Stir until thickened. The thickening results from the reaction of the milk and the citrus juice.

Pour into a baked pie crust or graham cracker crust and chill for 3 hours. Top with whipped cream."

My husband and I don't bother with the pie crust. We just put the whipped cream on the filling and dig in. Yum!

Jennifer Gray said...

Jordan loves lemons! She eats the rind and all. Funny!

Okay so my ALL TIME favorite is lemon bars! We can bring dinner over one night and you can make lemon bars...and an extra batch to send home with me.

Jen :)

lee @ abookchick.com said...

jill has a good recipe for a roasted chicken with lemons & oranges. ask her for it.

nice to see your parents (in the next entry) escaping some of the snow and ice here. the boys have had three snow days in two weeks with a possible one again tomorrow. your lemons would be frozen here. along with your tushie.